a) Where … 1 you do for a living?
b) How many … 2 music do you listen to?
c) What does … 3 been to an English-speaking country?
d) Are … 4 you doing at this time yesterday?
e) How often do you … 5 do you come from?
f) What do … 6 you last go on holiday?
g) What kind of … 7 you studying for any exams at the moment?
h) How long … 8 brothers and sisters have you got?
i) Have you ever … 9 do you admire most?
j) When did … 10 your name mean?
k) What were … 11 have you been learning English?
l) Who … 12 see your parents?
Rewrite these questions in the correct order.
a) learning/English/What/you for/are/?
b) are/at/you/sort of things/What/good/?
c) kind of things/What/in/are/interested/you/?
e) clubs or groups/What/to/belong/you/do/?
f) What/about/kind of things/you/do/worry/?
Circle the correct answer.
1. Which of following words does not describe marital status?
A single B lonely C divorced D married
2. People have got ten ____ on their feet.
A fingers B toes C elbows D knees
3. She’s got long hair and she wears it in a ____.
A fringe b wavy C moustache D ponytail
4. Which of the following words is opposite in meaning to the remaining three?
A gorgeous B ugly C beautiful D handsome
5. Which of the following words is opposite in the meaning to the remaining three?
A overweight B fat C plump D skinny
6. Which of the following is not a kind of underwear?
A pants B scarf C bra D boxer shorts
7. Emily’s very ____. She understands how other people feel.
A relaxed B sensible C sensitive D reliable
8. Chris is quite ____. He doesn’t talk about his personal life much.
A gentle B reserved C polite D stubborn
9. Lenny’s rather _____. Sometimes he behaves like a little child.
A immature B impatient C sensible D shy
10. Kitty’s very ____. She goes out with her friends almost every day.
A outgoing B talkative C quiet D sociable
11. I respect ____ people. I think it’s important to tell the truth.
A responsible B patient C honest D ambitious
12. Which of the following words is negative in meaning?
A brave B generous C reliable D selfish
13. I like Chris. He’s got a great _____ of humor.
A feeling B understanding C sense D feel
14. If you go jogging you usually wear trainers and a ____.
A suit B swimsuit C tracksuit D uniform
15. Which of the following is not a kind of shoes?
A high heels B shorts C trainers D sandals
Match the words in the box to the definitions.
| aunt colleague cousin daughter grandfather mother-in-law
pet neighbour nephew niece son son-in-law uncle best friend
1 a person who lives very near you
2 a person you work with
3 an animal that lives with the family
4 your male child
5 your aunt’s (or your uncle’s) child
6 your brother’s (or your sister’s) daughter
7 your closest friend
8 your daughter’s husband
9 your mother’s (or your father’s) sister
Put the verbs in brackets into the present simple or the present continuous.
1. I drive/am driving home now. I should be there in about 10 minutes.
2. She reads/is reading a new book every week. It’s her favourite pastime.
3. Our best friends come/are coming over for dinner tomorrow night.
4. Alex and Mike usually rent/are renting a DVD every Friday night.
5. Our boss flies/is flying to Milan on Wednesday.
6. She works/is working on her school project at the moment.
7. They go/are going to work by bus every weekday.
8. She works/is working as a nurse at Memorial Hospital.
Choose the correct version.
1. Steve ____ a shower at the moment.
a) is having b) has c) have
2. Is Ann ____ studying Geography?
a) often b) still c) usually
3. My sister and I ____ traditional food when we’re on holiday.
a) am tasting b) taste c) are tasting
4. ____ listening to classical music?
a) Does he enjoy b) Is he enjoying
c) Does he enjoys
5. How ____ do you go to the theatre?
a) usually b) often c) always
6. My brother ____ in New York at present.
a) live b) is living c) lives
7. She ____ French lessons three times a week.
a) is taking b) take c) takes
8. Do elephants ____ in the jungle?
a) lives b) live c) living
Put the verbs in brackets into the past simple or the past continuous.
1. I_____ (work) in Oxford when I _____(meet) Tony for the first time.
2. It _____ (rain) when Sara _____ (arrive) home.
3. We _____ (have) lunch when you _____ (ring).
4. You ____ (chat) when I _____ (come) in.
5. Joe _____ (cook) when he _____ (cut) his finger.
6. Dave and Becky _____ (watch) TV when the baby _____ (wake) up.
7. Ben ____ (play) chess when you ____ (enter) the room.
8. She ____ (take) a music lesson when your friend ____ (call) on me.