Exercise 1. Reproduce the short dialogues in similar situations.
A: I wonder whether you have any vacancies for tonight.
B: Yes, I can offer you room 24 on the first floor.
A: How much is it?
B: £ 29 a night excluding service.
A: Can I see it please?
B: Certainly. I won’t keep you a moment
A: Have you a single room for two nights?
B: Yes, but only on the top floor.
A: What price is it?
B: £45 with service.
A: Fair enough. Can you show me the room, please?
B: of course. Would you like to follow me?
A: Can I book a double room from now until Friday?
B: You can have room 33 overlooking the sea.
A: What does it cost?
B: £43 not counting the service.
A: Can I look at it, please?
B: Yes, of course. Come this way.
Exercise 1. Read about a TV programme and answer the questions.
1. What is the programme about?
2. When is it on?
3. How did the BBC choose the places?
Places to Go before you Die
Thursday 9 p.m. BBC1
Last month the BBC asked viewers to send in their top five holiday destinations and tonight we find out the results. So sit back and enjoy this tour of the world’s greatest beauty spots.
Exercise 2. Read the list of the top 50 places from the TV programme. Prepare a presentation about any places you have been to or the places you would like to visit.
1. The Grand Canyon, USA 26. Iguacu Falls, Brazil/Argentina
2. The Great Barrier Reef, Australia 27. Paris, France
3. Disney World, Florida, USA 28. Alaska, USA
4. The South Island, New Zealand 29. Angkor Wat, Cambodia
5. Cape Town, South Africa 30. Mount Everest, Nepal
6. The Golden Temple, Amritsar, India 31. Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
7. Las Vegas, USA 32. Masai Mara, Kenya
8. Sydney, Australia 33. The Galapagos Islands
9. New York, USA 34. Luxor, Egypt
10. The Taj Mahal, India 35. Rome, Italy
11. Lake Louise, The Rockies, Canada 36. San Francisco, USA
12. Uluru (Ayers Rock), Australia 37. Barcelona, Spain
13. Chichen Itza, Mexico 38. Dubai
14. Machu Picchu, Peru 39. Singapore
15. Niagara Falls, Canada/USA 40. La Digue, Seychelles
16. The Pyramids, Egypt 41. Sri Lanka
17. Petra, Jordan 42. Bangkok, Thailand
18. Venice, Italy 43. Barbados
19. The Maldives 44. Iceland
20. The Great Wall of China 45. The Terracotta Army, Xian, China
21. Victoria Falls, Zambia/Zimbabwe 46. The Matterhorn, Switzerland
22. Hong Kong 47. Angel Falls, Venezuela
23. Yosemite National Park, USA 48. Abu Simbel, Egypt
24. Hawaii 49. Bali
25. The North Island, New Zealand 50. Bora Bora, Tahiti
Text 18. Buying a Car
Exercise 1. Speak on the topics;
1) Travelling by train.
2) Travelling by sea.
3) Travelling by air.
4) Going through the Customs
5) Staying at a hotel
6) Road signs
7) Buying a car
Exercise 1. Write a letter to your friend from Great Britain. Here is a part from her letter.
“ … Last time I travelled by air two years ago when I had my holidays in Europe. On board the plane the stewardess helped me get comfortable in the reclining seat adjustable to some positions. I sat back and relaxed. The flight was very smooth. Everybody felt comfortable. The plane landed exactly on time. Have you ever traveled by air? When did it happen last time? Did you like it?...”
Observe the rules of writing letters.
Exercise 2. Compare different ways of travelling. Follow the plan:
1) Make a general statement of the problem.
2) Give your opinion and your reasons.
3) Give other people’s opinion and say why they are not right.
4) Make a conclusion.