|| What makes the University of Cambridge different from most other English Universities?
|| a. conduct research
|| Why are the supervisions more academically challenging than a standard lecture?
|| b. the tutorial system - students are taught in small groups
|| What is a supervisor in charge of?
|| c. once a week or more frequently
|| How often do students attend their supervisions?
|| d. students raise issues, analyze and criticize the ideas in discussion
|| What issues are generally discussed at supervisions?
|| e. the work completed and academic progress
|| What is a typical assignment set for students?
|| f. to prepare work in advance
|| What is a student required to undertake for each supervision?
|| g. a wide range of subjects: law, medicine, engineering etc.
|| What subjects are offered within one college?
|| h. writing of an essay
|| The university professors do not undertake much undergraduate teaching. What kind of work do they do?
|| i. assignments to be undertaken by the students
Exercise 19. Fill in the proportions:
to attend to make ? to raise ? to arrange
= = = = =
? note assignment ? lectures ?
? to conduct ? to share ?
= = = =
research ? progress ? degrees
Exercise 20. From the list of actions below, choose those performed by students and by tutors and those within the university responsibility. Inform the audience what a tutor is usually in charge of (5-7 sentences).
to make notes, to undertake assignments, to attend lectures, to raise issues, to attend supervisions, to write essays, to award degrees, to arrange lectures, to teach students in small groups, to criticize the work completed, to discuss academic progress, to allocate to a tutor, to offer courses, to enroll students, to suggest books
Exercise 21. Speak about the University of Cambridge according to the scheme:
Exercise 22. Express your point of view whether the tutorial system has a great value or not.
| I believe
I don’t think
To my mind
|| that the tutorial systemhas a great value .
- isbeneficial for all students.
- is useful and helpful.
- it is wasting of time and money.
- it provides them with ideas how to realize the academic potential better.
- it allows the students to discuss , analyze and share the ideas with the tutor.
Exercise 23. Put the following sentences into Passive
Model: People speak English in Europe.
English is spoken in Europe
1. A large number of people in the world use English as the international language.
2. Our University enrolled 2000 students last year.
3. The enrolment office admits students to the University in August.
4. This University will offer many courses.
5. The teachers hold lectures on the University campus.
6. The University provides students with facilities.
7. The department staff teaches students in small groups (tutorials).
8. The University awarded degrees in May.
9. The University will arrange examinations for students at the end of June .
11.Colleges provide accommodation and food.
12. Undergraduates attend lectures and tutorials.
13. Students will discuss the work with their tutors.
14. Junior students choose their majors, normally at the end of the first year.
15. Every college involved many students in sports last year.
16. Professors engage senior students in research.
17. Tutors will suggested the books to read for a particular course.
18. Professors assess student academic achievements.
19. Professors usually carry out investigations.
20. Most European Universities give lectures in English.
Exercise 24. Translate the Russian verbs below into English using the Present /Past/ Future Simple (Passive Voice).
1. Many exams оцениваются from 1 to 100 points.
2. Courses and seminars предлагалисьby various departments.
3. Students зачисляются by colleges.
4. Professors назначаются to carry out research.
5. Students будутобучаться by faculty fellows or tutors in small groups.
6. The internship is generally оплачивается and проводится in the second and fourth year of study.