|| жилые помещения
|| кормовой, задний
| both (… and)
|| оба; как то, так и это
|| вниз, внизу (по лестнице)
|| носовой, передний
|| спортивный зал
| in front of
|| [in frAnt qv]
|| перед, впереди
| in the middle (of)
|| в середине
| machinery space
|| [mq'SJnqri speis]
|| машинное отделение
| port side
|| [pLt said]
|| левый борт
| starboard side
|| ['stRbLd said]
|| правый борт
|| править рулем, управлять
Description of the ship
The Sedov is the largest sailing ship in the world. There are 4 masts and 32 sailson the ship. Besides, the vessel has an engine and a machinery space. There are 2 decks on the ship: the upper deck and the main deck. On the upper deck in the aft part (next to the high mast) there is a construction with a radio room on the starboard side and a bosun's storeroom on the port side.
Just in the middle of the ship there is a navigation bridge. The captain's cabin is next to it and in front of it there is a ship's wheel where 4 cadets are usually on watch steering the ship.
On the main deck there are officers' cabins and officers' and ratings' messrooms. The galley is also on the main deck. It is in the middle of the ship between two messrooms. The Chief Mate's cabin is on the starboard side to the right of the officers' messroom. The Chief Engineer's cabin is on the portside to the left of the ratings' messroom. Down the corridor there is a laundry and shower spaces.
There is a hospital on the Sedov. It is in her fore part next to the ship's bow.
Downstairs both in the bow and in the stern there is accommodation for cadets. The ratings' accommodation is in the ship's fore part below the main deck. Besides accommodation there is a beautiful cinema hall, a ship's museum, big classrooms, a library, a gym, a galley, a cadets' messroom and other useful spaces on board the ship.
4. Ответьте на вопросы по тексту.
1. What is the largest sailing ship in the world?
2. How many masts and sails are there on the ship?
3. Does the vessel have two or three decks?
4. Does the Sedov have an engine room?
5. Where is it?
6. What spaces are there in the aft part of the ship?
7. Where is a navigation bridge?
8. What spaces are next to it?
9. What deck are the officers' cabins on?
10. Where are the officers' and ratings' messrooms?
11. Whose cabin is next to the officers' messroom?
12. Where is the Chief engineer's cabin?
13. What spaces are there on the main deck down the corridor?
14. Where is accommodation for ratings, cadets?
15. Is it in the stern or in the bow?
16. What other spaces are there on the Sedov?