– 2 семестра в году,
– курс обучения,
– заканчивать университет,
– готовить учителей,
– первого сентября,
– происходить (иметь место),
– кроме воскресенья,
– делится на осенний и весенний семестры,
7. Put questions to the following sentences:
1. Oleg is a first-year student of Mozyr State Teachers’ Training University.
2. He studies at the faculty of Physics and Mathematics.
3. In 5 years he will work as a teacher at school.
4. Oleg studies a lot of subjects.
5. The academic year is divided into 2 terms.
6. At the end of each term students take their credit tests and examinations.
7. After passing their exams students have holidays.
8. Every student has a record-book and a student’s pass.
8. Use the text to add some more information to the following statements:
1. Oleg is a first-year student and a future teacher.
2. Oleg studies a lot of subjects at the University.
3. The academic year last about 10 months.
4. Students have holidays.
Be ready to speak about the University and your studies there.
Text 2. Oleg’s ORDINARY working day
Read the text and do the exercises that follow it.
Study the following vocabulary before reading the text:
a dressing-gown – халат
slippers – тапочки
to do one’s bed – застилать постель
to leave for – уходить, уезжать
a time-table – расписание
to be over – заканчиваться
to wash up – мыть посуду
spare – свободный, экономить
to feel tired (sleepy) – чувствовать себя усталым (сонным)
His working day starts early in the morning. He gets up at 6.15. Oleg jumps out of bed, switches on the radio and does his morning exercises to the radio music. Then he puts on his dressing-gown and slippers and goes to the bathroom where he washes his face and neck, cleans his teeth and takes a cold and hot shower if he has enough time. Then Oleg does his bed and dresses himself. It takes him about 25–30 minutes. After that he sits down at the table and has his breakfast. He cooks breakfast himself.
After breakfast Oleg leaves for the University. As he lives not far from the University, he needn’t go to the bus-stop and take a bus. He goes on foot there. In 5 minutes he is at the University. The classes begin at 8 o’clock. According to the time-table students have 3 or 4 periods each day. There are breaks between periods which last 20 or 25 minutes. During a break Oleg goes down to the buffet to have a snack. The classes are over at 13.25 on Mondays and on Saturdays or at 15.20 on other days of the week.
After classes Oleg sometimes goes to the dining-room of the University to have dinner. But usually he has dinner at the hostel. After dinner he washes up. Then he has a short rest, reads books and newspapers, makes some telephone calls or listens to music. After that he does his homework. It usually takes him about 2 hours. Sometimes he goes to the library to read for seminars.
At about 7 or 8 o’clock Oleg and his room-mates have supper. In the evening he always has some spare time. He watches TV or, if the program is not interesting, he operates a computer or goes to the cinema or to the disco with his friends. Late at night he feels tired and sleepy. At 11 o’clock he goes to bed.
1. Find in the text the sentences with the following words and word combinations and reproduce them:
to do one’s morning exercises to sit down (at)
to have a snack each day
to go for a walk spare time
to wash up to be over
to read (for) not far away
to switch on the radio to put on
face and neck with a tooth-brush
to take a shower it takes
to last to leave (for)
2. Find in the text synonyms for the words:
free, to go to the University, to turn on the music, to begin, a week day, a period, to end.
3. Find in the text antonyms for the words:
to come, to switch off, to be over, to go to bed, to get off a bus, before classes, in the evening, late.
4. Use the text to complete the sentences:
1. Oleg’s father … at 6.15.
2. He goes to work … as it is a long way from his home.
3. It … him 20 minutes to get to his office.
4. After supper his wife … the dishes.
5. In the evening Oleg’s father goes … with his dog.
6. After morning exercises Oleg … a dressing-gown and slippers.
7. Oleg’s sister doesn’t like to … a shower in the morning.
8. Everybody feels … late at night.
5. Use the text to put 2–3 questions about Oleg’s working day with the words:
– How many (much)
– Do (Does)
– Is (Are)
6. Find in the text words to speak about Oleg’s day:
– in the morning
– during classes
– after classes
– in the evening